ORA Sites

Search the OCGA site
OCGA staff contact info
Helpful links
Our address

Back to Research Funding main page

UCLA On-Campus Funding Resources

Funding opportunities are not only available from government agencies and private foundations, but also through UCLA campus offices and organizations. Follow the links below for more information:

Office of the Academic Senate
Academic Personnel
Office of Instructional Development (OID)
Graduate Division
School of Medicine Research Web Site

The Council on Research of the Academic Senate administers three programs to fund research and travel for Academic Senate members.

Faculty Grants Program
This program supports individual research projects of eligible members of the Academic Senate with an average funding level per grant of $1,500 to $3,000 per fiscal year. General support categories include research assistance, purchase of research-specific equipment, retrographics, communications, expendable supplies, and field expenses. Of these categories, under-graduate and graduate student research assistance receives the highest priority for funding. There is only one request for proposals per year due on the first Friday in March.

For more information or to obtain application forms, please contact the Council on Research at x53853.

Faculty Conference Travel
This program supports travel for presentation of original research results and is normally limited to meetings or conferences of recognized scholarly societies, both domestic and overseas. This program only funds airfare. The Council on Research must receive applications for support from this program at least 10 days prior to the start of the conference or meeting, with no exception made to the deadline requirement. Applications are available in each departmental business office.

For further information on this program and application procedures, please contact the Council on Research/Travel Division at x62070.

Intercampus Exchange Program for Faculty
This program provides limited support to faculty and advanced graduate students for study and research on other campuses of the University of California. Grants may be made to assist with travel, living expenses and research costs. Applications are made to the Academic Senate Council on Research in letter form, indicating the following: description of the research project, campus to be visited, dates of travel, number of days involved, estimate of expenses. The applicant and the department chair must both sign the letter of request. Graduate students must be traveling to accompany and assist eligible faculty on a research project.

For further information about this program, please call the Council on Research/Travel Division at x62070.

Back to Top


Faculty (Assistant Professor) Career Development Awards
This program is intended to provide junior faculty with research support at a critical time in the pre-tenure stage in developing the research or creative record that is essential for promotion from assistant professor to associate professor. Awards are made in the form of summer ninths, one-quarter sabbatical supplements, full quarter research leaves with salary, and research support up to $3000. Applications are usually due during the Winter Quarter (February). The annual program announcement and application form may be downloaded electronically from the Academic Senate website at http://www.apo.ucla.edu/apoweb/programs.htm

For further information and application forms, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at x68004.

Back to Top


OID was created to administer and coordinate special resources, services and funding opportunities aimed at improving the quality of undergraduate instruction at UCLA. A complete listing may be found on the Internet at http://www.oid.ucla.edu

Instructional Improvement Grants
The campus receives Instructional Improvement funds which OID has elected to convert into a grant program for faculty. The Chancellors Committee on Instructional Improvement Programs (CCIIP) is appointed to provide direction in the administration of these grants, which are intended for the improvement of undergraduate courses, curricula and teaching. Grants are designed for curricular innovation and pedagogical experiment and cannot be substituted for the ongoing or normal costs of course delivery. They may not be applied to graduate courses or independent studies (199s).

Instructional Improvement Grants are competitive and in high demand. The amount of funding awarded for a project has ranged from $1500 to $300,000 (over a three-year period), but the average grant in a one-year period is about $12,000. Usually there is one annual proposal deadline (mid-March). The Cover Sheet/Application can be downloaded electronically from the OID website in Microsoft Word format.

For more information, please call x59149.

Mini-grants Program
Mini-grants of up to $750 for faculty and up to $250 for teaching assistants per academic year are provided for small-scale projects which improve or enrich existing undergraduate courses. All regular faculty are eligible to apply as are teaching assistants with faculty approval. Allowable costs include instructional media, field trips, distinguished guest speaker honoraria, and some instructional software. Proposals for departmental TA training program development are also considered.

For more information or to obtain an application form, please contact OID at x52790.

Back to Top


The Graduate Division makes a number of resources available for the support of graduate students. Multi-year fellowships, such as The Chancellor's Fellowship and the Eugene V. Cota Robles Award, are used as campus recruitment fellowships. Graduate Opportunity Fellowships furnish support within a single academic year to entering graduate students; Research Mentorship Program supports continuing graduate students within a given academic year; Summer Research Mentorship Program supports continuing graduate students during the summer; Dissertation Year Fellowships may be awarded to students in their final year of a doctoral program.

Special Fellowships with particular eligibility requirements, as stipulated by their endowments, are generally made for a single academic year to entering and/or continuing graduate students on a competitive basis following nomination by their departments. Funds for dissertation research or travel to scholarly conferences are allocated to departments by the Graduate Division for use by registered, enrolled graduate students.

For further information concerning teaching assistantships, Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) positions and no-resident tuition, please contact individual departments.

For further information concerning Graduate Division and Extramural Fellowships, please send an e-mail message to uclafellowship@gdnet.ucla.edu.

Back to Top


The UCLA School of Medicine Research Web Site contains a listing of intramural funding opportunities available to the campus health sciences community. The table contains the UCLA contact for further information. The site also contains a searchable database for locating extramural research funds in the health sciences. The intramural funding opportunities table may be accessed at http://research.mednet.ucla.edu/funding/

School of Medicine Research Web Site: http://research.mednet.ucla.edu

Last updated 09/08/2011

Back to Top

Visit the home page

For questions/comments regarding this site's content, e-mail the OCGA Web Team
For technical questions/comments only, e-mail the Webmaster.
©2003 The Regents of the University of California